Over the past two months we've seen the App Engine community do some exciting things. To highlight community participation, we'll be posting regular App Engine community updates.Applications
Below are some of the more popular ones we've seen:
- Wordle - Create word clouds for user provided text
- Guess-a-Sketch - Fans of Pictionary will love this sketching-guessing game!
- BuddyPoke - An OpenSocial application for interacting with your friends
Many developers have written useful articles tutorials about App Engine. This week, we published our first externally written article on the App Engine developer pages Configuring Eclipse on Windows to Use With Google App Engine. Below are some other contributions we've found out there on the world wide web:
- Google Engineers are passionate about unit tests, and it's exciting to know our developers are too! App Engine fan wrote an article 'Unit tests for Google App Engine apps'.
- Thomas Brox Røst wrote an article that outlines porting the data of an existing Django App to App Engine.
- A big theme for App Engine at Google I/O was creating applications that scale. The developers at Logilab attended one of the talks and wrote up a very helpful summary on Building Scalable Web Apps. Mobile usage is becoming increasingly popular across the globe. Ronan at dev.mobi wrote an article about using App Engine to create a mobile website.
Recently, we invited developers to list their Open Source projects on our group's pages. So far, we have 14 projects - these range from App Engine utility libraries, web frameworks, Open Source applications, and even an HTTP implementation of Map Reduce. Please continue to let us know what you are working on!App Engine Group
Lastly, discussion continues to thrive on our Google group. Recently popular threads include discussions on full text search, session management, downloading apps, and executing common functionality before serving a request.