Friday, December 5, 2008

End of the Year Developer Roundup

As 2008 draws to a close, it's time for the last developer roundup of the year. In the spirit of the season, and inspired by Giftag.com, I've put together my App Engine Holiday Wish list:

1. A Geo-located Social Jukebox

Sure I can put together a list of songs I like, find out what movies are now playing by me, and always know where I'm going, but where's the application that lets me list songs for my friends to listen to around San Francisco? I'm really looking forward to this and other ideas being written for App Engine, so in the new year I can let everyone know I love to listen to "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" on the Golden Gate Bridge.

2. More Python

Right now, I can back up my App Engine datastore to a MySQL database, debug my Python applications in firebug, and stay on top of all my twitters with App Engine. But I do love to flex my Python muscles, so I'm hoping more people contribute to our Open Source projects page.

3. A Good Read

While I get a chapter-by-chapter update of the O'Reilly App Engine book, peruse the alpha version of Developing with Google App Engine, and read about App Engine in Action, I still find myself looking for more good reading material. I'd love to see our developers contribute more articles to our documentation, so if you're a Hemingway in the making, let us know and we can show you how to contribute an article.

4. Interesting Conversation

After several App Engine Chat times, and some great discussion in our forum, I just can't get enough. Next year I'm looking forward to some more stimulating conversation with our App Engine developers!

No comments: